Saturday, May 21, 2016

Road Trip to Wyoming days 1-4

Wow. Has it only been 5 days since we set out on this adventure? We have seen and done so much, traveled through parts of 6 states, and driven I don't know how many miles.

Day 1 was spent driving from home to Dallas, TX. That has got to be the longest drive for us so far.

Day 2 we drove a little ways north to spend the day with our precious 94 year old Grandmother who lives in northern Texas.

The sweetest part of the visit for me was getting to play the Piano for the residents as they gathered in the Atrium waiting for dinner to start. There is the loveliest Grand Piano which is SO much fun to play. And it turns out it had just been tuned the day before.
I had so many residents and staff there tell me afterwards how much they enjoyed my playing, to God be the glory! There is no greater blessing and joy than to share my gift and love of music with others and bring a smile to their face. There was one lady who came up and requested I play "The Old Rugged Cross." As I began playing I started to sing, then mom joined in, then the lady who had requested the hymn joined in. What a sweet moment I will remember forever.

After a wonderful visit with her we spent the night close to where she lived (and our hotel was right by a quaint lake) then set out the next morning.

Day 3 we drove through the far reaches of Northern Texas (it seemed Texas would never end!) which was really a lovely drive. Farmland and fields as far as the eye could see, with an occasional hill or two. Then we drove through some of New Mexico then into Colorado and it is just beautiful here in CO!! We've gotten some lovely views of the Rockies, but I can't wait to see them in their full glory when we get to explore Rocky National Park here in the next few days.
Our stop that night was Alamosa Springs.

Day 4 we headed to explore Great Sand Dunes National Park. It's unlike any other place I've visited. There is this huge area in front of the mountains with some massive sand dunes spread out for quite a ways. It's a really beautiful and unique place. We climbed a few dunes and my sister and I might have slid and rolled down one. Cause I mean, it's not every day you get to roll down a sand dune in Colorado back dropped by mountains, right? It was worth getting covered in sand :)

Then we headed to see Manitou Springs, the cutest little town right outside of Colorado Springs. We walked around, had dinner at a yummy Jerusalem Grill, and are now at our hotel in Colorado Springs!
Dad joined us last night (he was working in Texas and flew into Denver, then was driving down) and we plan to explore the surrounding area of Colorado Springs today.

Below are some pictures from our adventures these past four days.



I might be a bit biased, but I think she is the cutest and most beautiful 
94 year old lady out there :) And she is still so sharp!
Trying to soak up each moment we are blessed to have with her.




The wide open spaces of Texas.




We drove though some patches of rain the whole way to Colorado.


Got to briefly meet New Mexico at last!





Our first views of the Rocky Mountains and they are stunning!






Something about getting in the car each day to explore new places, not always knowing what you're going to see and discover, is just so exhilarating.









The brown you see at the base of the mountains are the sand dunes.



There's a small river you cross before reaching the dunes. It pulsates, creating small waves as it flows. It's quite fascinating.






Grace and I rolled down the Sand Dune we're sitting on the edge of.








My sister and I scrambled to the top of this dune and the view was worth it.










She got a Polaroid for her birthday and has gotten some great photos with it.


View from the Visitor Center


Then we drove for about 3 hours to Manitou Springs, which is the cutest little town, and just outside Colorado Springs.
We had a yummy dinner at a Jerusalem Café.













Hope to post again with pictures from the rest of our adventures in CO, once I'm settled at the ranch. Just 4 more days until I arrive! Wow. Can't believe it's actually happening.

4 comments:

  1. So happy you are sharing your adventure!! I'm praying for you and anticipate updates!! Hugs from Arkansas and a kindred spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading your Blog! Making everlasting memories is so much fun! Enjoy and appreciate every bit of God's Love and Blessings for you and everybody that you meet! May God surround you with all that is good and keep you safe! Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Lindsey! How exciting! I still have not seen your mom or Grace since you left and am missing you and so glad to see you on my computer screen. Love from Mrs. Barber

    ReplyDelete